NAME: INDIAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDY OF SEXUALLY
TRANSMITTED DISEASES & AIDS (IASSTD & AIDS)
JURISDICTION : It is the only association
of its kind existing in India having its members from
all parts of India and also from Foreign countries
- To co-ordinate and assist the activities not only
of Physicians practicing in the subject and other
related subjects but also of epidemiologists, psychiatrists,
psychologists, public health nurses, social workers
and all concerned with human behaviour and its effects
on the spread of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
and AIDS (Human Immuno-deficiency Virus infection).
- To collect and distribute information concerning
methods for the prevention and control of STDs with
a view to eliminate these diseases as public health
problems throughout India.
- To stimulate research into the medical, serological
and psychosocial aspects of STDs.
- To compile information on trends of incidence of
the STDs throughout India.
- To organise seminars and other meetings and to participate
with other International Organisations in meetings
to study problems relating to control of STDs and
- To provide information and material for health
education bearing on this problem.
- As STD control is mainly the responsibility of
the Government, the Association will co-operate with
Government and Non-Government Organistaions who are
actively engaged in the control of STDs including
AIDS and also in the management of STD/AIDS patients
like screening of vulnerable population and education
of the public, specially the target groups like commercial
sex workers, industrial workers, lorry drivers, students
etc. Also when the association undertakes any STD
programme they can seek the help of the Government.
- To make STD as a separate speciality for both undergraduate
teaching as well as for post-graduate teaching at
all colleges in India and also for patient care.
- They will meet once a year in different parts of
India and the recommendations passed at these Annual
meetings for the control of STDs and AIDS will be
sent to the Government for appropriate action. Also
recommendations pertaining to the professionals engaged
in the management of STD/AIDS will also be sent to
the Government for taking suitable action.
- The association will publish a Journal, The Indian
Journal for the Study of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
office of the Association will function at the office
of Hony. Secretary of IASSTD & AIDS.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE ASSOCIATION:
FEES: As on 01-01-2011 (Subject to revision
by the General Body from time to time, if need be)
- The membership of the Association shall be governed
by the rules and regulations as laid down in the rules
and bye-laws of IASSTD & AIDS.
- Qualified allopathy doctors specialized in Venereology
/ Dermatology will be admitted as MEMBERS (both Life
- Qualified allopathy doctors in the field of Medical
Microbiology, Pathology, Community Medicine, Psychiatric
Medicine, Internal Medicine and those physicians working
in the field of STD will be admitted as ASSOCIATE
MEMBERS of the Association.
Note: They may be admitted as MEMBERS later if they
are found eligible by the screening Committee after
he / she has been admitted as ASSOCIATE MEMBER.
- Qualified persons from other systems of Medicine
(other than allopathy) and other qualified persons
working in the field of Microbiology including Serology,
Clinical Psychologists, medical Sociologists, Epidemiologists,
Public Health personnel including Public Health Nurses
who are interested in the field of STD will be eligible
to become ASSOCIATE MEMBERS.
- Medical Institutions Teaching / Non teaching, working in
the field of STD may be admitted as Members / Associate
Members (as the case may be), and all communications
from the Association will be sent only to the Head
of the Institution / Head of the Department of STD
- The admission of members shall be regulated by the
prescribed membership enrollment form duly filled
in Capital letters accompanied by the membership fees,
short bio-data, Xerox copies of Degree Certificate
issued by the concerned university and Registration
Certificate issued by the Medical Council or its equivalent
body together with a copy of recent passport size
photograph of the person. The screening committee
shall be the competent authority to admit new members.
Members: Life : Rs.2,500 (Rupees Two Thousand Five Hundred only)
Members: Annual :Rs.250 (Rupees Two Hundred Fifty only)
Associate Members: Life : Rs.2,500 (Rupees Two Thousand Five Hundred only)
Associate Members: Annual :Rs.250 (Rupees Two Hundred Fifty only)
Foreign Members / Associate Members : $200 USD
Institutions Members : Rs.3,500
Institutions Associate Annual Members : Rs.350
Foreign Countries : $200 USD
OFFICIAL YEAR : The Official year for the Association
will be from 1st April to 31st march
MANAGEMENT : The activities of the association
would be managed by the following office bearers:
- President : One
- President Elect : One
- Vice - Presidents : Two
- Secretary : One
- Joint - Secretaries : Two
- Treasurer : One
- Editor : One
- Associate Editor : One
- Executive Committee Members : Twelve (Eight elected
which includes the immediate Past President and immediate
past Secretary and four co-opted members)
- Zonal Representatives : Five (Co-opted)
All the co-opted members of the Association will enjoy
all the rights and privileges of the elected members.
PERIOD OF OFFICE OF THE OFFICE BEARERS:
POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE: The
Executive Committee shall:
- The office bearers shall hold office for one year
or till the next committee is elected.
- The term of office of the members of the committee
shall not exceed three years from the date of their
appointment. The member of the committee shall however
be eligible for reappointment or to contest.
MEETING OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
- be the authority to admit new members.
- shall have power to suggest byelaws for the affairs
of the Association, which has to be ratified by the
- interpret the rules and byelaws of the Association
- have powers to appoint sub-committees for special
purposes and to delegate powers to such committees.
- administer the funds of the Association and do all
such other acts as may be necessary in the interest
of the Association and in consonance with the objectives
of the Association.
- appoint auditors to audit the accounts of Association.
- vacancies occurring in the executive committee during
the year shall be filled by co-option by the executive
committee at the next meeting convened after the occurrence
of the vacancy.
FINANCE OF THE ASSOCIATION AND CONTROL OF THE SAME:
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least once
in three months or more frequently. The President
or in his absence, one of the Vice-Presidents or in
their absence, one of the members present elected
by the executive committee shall preside over the
meeting. The quorum for the meeting shall be five
inclusive of the Office bearers.
- For all the meetings of the executive committee,
15 days notice shall be given, but the urgent meeting
if any may be convened by the Secretary giving at
least 5 days notice. Special meeting of the E C may
be convened by the Secretary with the permission of
the President or on a written requisition by at least
five members of the E C to discuss any specific matter
- Any meeting of the E C if adjourned for want of
quorum to a subsequent day, fresh notice shall be
necessary for such meetings but quorum is not required
- Special meeting of the E C shall be held at least
seven days before or prior to the Annual General Body
Meeting, to admit new members who have joined the
Association after the last E C meet, convened for
adopting the draft of the Annual Report, statement
of accounts etc. No quorum is necessary for the meeting.
- The E C for adopting the draft of the annual report
and audited statement of accounts shall meet one day
prior to or on the same day of the Annual General
The funds of the association shall be deposited
in a scheduled bank or in any bank approved by the E
C and the bank account shall be opened jointly by the
President, Secretary and Treasurer and any two of the
three members shall operate the account. If for any
reason, the office of either the Secretary or the Treasurer
falls vacant, the E C shall nominate a person or persons
in the vacancy and such nominated person or persons
shall operate the bank accounts or the President and
Secretary can nominate a person or persons and later
they can be ratified by the Executive Committee.
PROCEDURE FOR ELECTION:
- The ultimate authority on all matters relating to
the administration of the Association shall rest with
the General Body of the Association.
- Annual General Body Meeting shall be held in the
month of September every year or on the second day
of the two-day annual conference of the Association,
before the start of the Scientific sessions. The following
business shall be transacted at such meetings:
- Considerations of the Annual Report and Audited
statement of the accounts of the Association
- Consideration of the alteration / addition to
the rules and bye-laws of the Association, if
- Election of Office Bearers and Executive Committee
members for the successive year.
- Election of Editor & Associate Editor of
the Indian Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
for a term of five years.
- Any other business of which due notice has been
given in writing.
- Every LIFE MEMBER of the Association and the ANNUAL
MEMBERS who are not in arrears of subscription, and
such of those admitted under the rules of the association
as new MEMBERS (refer admission rules) shall be entitled
to attend and vote at the General Body Meeting.
- The President, or in his absence, one of the Vice-Presidents,
or in their absence, one of the members shall have
a casting vote in the case of equality of votes. The
quorum for the General Body meeting shall be thirty
members inclusive of the Office bearers. Thirty days
clear notice shall be given for the A G B meeting
and such notice shall be duly circulated to all the
members of the Association.
- Any member desirous of moving any resolution at
the A G B meeting shall do so in writing and send
the resolution to the Secretary at least fifteen days
before the day of A G B meeting.
- Special meeting of the G B may be called at any
time by the office bearers or on a written requisition
from at least twenty members of the association stating
the purpose and in respect of such meeting seven days
clear notice along with the agenda shall be circulated.
No other business shall be discussed on the agenda
except the specific business for which the meeting
has been requisitioned.
- A person nominated by the Office bearers or the
Executive Committee may act as the Returning Officer
for the election.
- Nomination to all posts of the Office shall be made
in the specific form sent to the MEMBERS by the Secretary
and should be filed on or before the date specified
by the Returning Officer, duly proposed and seconded
by the MEMBERS of the Association.
- ASSOCIATE MEMBERS are not eligible to contest for
any post or to vote.
- The nominees shall be physically present during
the elections at the venue of the elections.
- The nominees, the proposer and the seconder should
all be LIFE MEMBERS or if he / she is an ANNUAL MEMBER
that MEMBER should not be in arrears of subscription
at the time of proposing / seconding.
- For the office of the President, Secretary and the
Treasurer, the nominee must be a LIFE MEMBER for at
least five years and with good standing. For the Office
of Vice Presidents and Joint Secretaries, the nominee
should be a LIFE MEMBER for at least three years and
with good standing.
- The candidate is free to withdraw his nomination
any time before the election.
Any amendment / alteration to the rules of the Association
shall be made only by the General Body at a duly convened
meeting and provided two thirds of the members present
at that meeting support the same. Bye-Laws of the Association
ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS:
- Every MEMBER of the General Body or the Executive
Committee shall be entitled to one vote only at the
- Every question (except matter relating to alteration
of rules and disciplinary action against members)
at every meeting of the G.B. and E.C. shall be decided
by a majority.
DUTIES AND POWERS OF THE OFFICE BEARERS: President:
- Eligibility: Candidates for the Office of President,
Secretary & Treasurer should be a LIFE MEMBER
of the Association for at least five years and of
good standing and for the office of Vice Presidents
and Joint Secretaries, the candidate should be a LIFE
MEMBER for at least three years and with good standing.
- The proposer and the Seconder should be a MEMBER
of the Association for at least three years.
Vice - Presidents:
- The President shall be the Chairman of all the meetings
of the E C and any other committee of which he is
- Preside over the Annual and Special G B Meetings.
- Guide and control the activities of the Association
- Regulate the proceedings of the meeting, interpret
the rules and regulations and bye-laws and clarify
doubtful and disputed points.
- Have in addition to his ordinary vote, a casting
vote in the event of tie and equality of votes.
- The Vice-Presidents shall act as Chairman of the
meetings of the E C and the Annual & Special G
B meetings in the absence of the President.
- Act as a Chairman of all the sub-committees and
the committees of which he is a member in case the
President is absent or is not a member.
Joint - Secretaries:
- The Secretary shall be in charge of the Office of
- Shall handle and conduct all the correspondences
on behalf of the Association.
- Get prepared by the Treasurer, an annual statement
of accounts duly audited by an auditor for adoption
by the A G B Meeting.
- Be the ex-officio member of all the committees.
- Maintain a correct and up to date list of all the
members of the Association.
- Submit reports and other returns as required by
- Bring any matter which he considers necessary in
the interest of the Association to the notice of the
E C and act according to the guidance and instructions
of the EC.
- Send the annual report and agenda for the Annual
General Body meeting to all the members at least thirty
days before the A G B Meeting.
- The Joint-Secretaries shall co operate with the
Secretary in all matters relating to the Association
and perform the functions assigned to him by the E
- Convene all Scientific meetings of the Association,
Symposia, Workshops etc. and send the report to the
Journal of the Association.
- The Treasurer shall receive all monies of the Association
and deposit the same in a Nationalised bank approved
by the E.C. to the credit of the association.
- Be responsible for the collections of subscription
- Dispose the bills for payment and issue cheques
as sanctioned by the Secretary or the Executive Committee.
- Have the right to point any error or discrepancy
in order of payment
- Be responsible for keeping up to date accounts of
the Association with all books duly posted